walking in the rain
Saturday, April 10, 2010
those words
Death is a funny thing.
We don't usually treasure the people around us, until one day, we lose our loved ones, and realize that it's all too late.
I remember buying fruits at Clementi a couple of months back, when I bumped into my younger brother, who was with his classmates. Among his group of friends stood a boy who was fairly big-sized – with puffy cheeks and all.
When I was in the car later, I turned to my brother and asked, “Eh, who’s that fat guy? He looks like a monster.”. My brother replied, saying, “Don’t be so bad. He has cancer.”.
Later, I learnt that he was formally a handsome, skinny boy who had to fatten himself up due to some therapy he was going through. He was actually going through a tough time, especially when the cancer cells were spreading fast.
I felt bad after making that comment, so I kept quiet after.
Today, that boy has since passed away. He lost the battle, leaving behind the people closest to him - his family and friends.
It was ironic that the news of his death broke when my family was out celebrating my brother’s birthday. It couldn't have been more than coincidental that the funeral procession took place on my brother’s birthday itself - I guess it would be a birthday he would remember forever.
I never knew that boy personally. What I do know, though, is that I feel bad, because those words could never be taken back.
It was a lesson to learn, and I will certainly be more careful with my words from now on.
And I know I've said this before but I'll say it again - Life in short, so treasure it, together with the people around you.
To my brother's friend - your mission on earth is complete. Rest in peace.
We don't usually treasure the people around us, until one day, we lose our loved ones, and realize that it's all too late.
I remember buying fruits at Clementi a couple of months back, when I bumped into my younger brother, who was with his classmates. Among his group of friends stood a boy who was fairly big-sized – with puffy cheeks and all.
When I was in the car later, I turned to my brother and asked, “Eh, who’s that fat guy? He looks like a monster.”. My brother replied, saying, “Don’t be so bad. He has cancer.”.
Later, I learnt that he was formally a handsome, skinny boy who had to fatten himself up due to some therapy he was going through. He was actually going through a tough time, especially when the cancer cells were spreading fast.
I felt bad after making that comment, so I kept quiet after.
Today, that boy has since passed away. He lost the battle, leaving behind the people closest to him - his family and friends.
It was ironic that the news of his death broke when my family was out celebrating my brother’s birthday. It couldn't have been more than coincidental that the funeral procession took place on my brother’s birthday itself - I guess it would be a birthday he would remember forever.
I never knew that boy personally. What I do know, though, is that I feel bad, because those words could never be taken back.
It was a lesson to learn, and I will certainly be more careful with my words from now on.
And I know I've said this before but I'll say it again - Life in short, so treasure it, together with the people around you.
To my brother's friend - your mission on earth is complete. Rest in peace.
posted by Selwyn at 11:30 PM
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home